Sunday, June 17, 2012

Trouble Zone

I have to say, without a doubt, that the biggest trouble zone in our home is the office. It's an entire room, not just an area, as the third bedroom is the office. It houses three desks, a filing cabinet, and two bookshelves. The closet is board game storage, along with some boxes of things we don't want to keep in the garage for temperature control reasons.

I don't want to spend a fortune on organizational systems for this room. I know that I'm going to have to buy a few things to get it organized, but I feel like we should be able to make it clean and functional with what we have. For the most part anyway.

There are two big issues with the office:
One is paperwork. There is lots of it and we're not great at filing things in a timely manner. This means that we end up with piles of paperwork on almost every surface. Obviously this is a behavioral thing on our part and we need to get into the habit of filing things at least once per week, if not every day. We also need to make it priority to clear out the filing cabinet once per year, or else we're going to end up with a decade's worth of utility bills shoved into an overflowing cabinet.
The other issue is that the office seems to be the catch-all room for things we don't know what to do with. I hear this complaint of office areas most often, so I know we're not alone. This is where needing a clear cut organized room comes in. If there's a place for everything, we should be able to put everything (and I mean everything) away at the end of the day.

The office can turn into a absolute mess. I'm talking hoarders kind of mess. It's disgusting, it stresses me out, and I'm ashamed of that room. I've been working on it ever so slowly, but it's nowhere near where it needs to be. I've purged some more things, threw out games that had broken or missing pieces, transferred some books to other bookshelves in the house, and removed some clunky "organizational" items that weren't actually helping.

Clean, organized, simple, pretty. That's what I'm going for. I don't know how long it will take me and I might rip some hair out in the process, but I'll get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment