Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Forget Supermom

After weeks of trying to hang on to the shreds of my sanity, I found a quote yesterday that really spoke to me.

"In attempting to tend to everyone else first - when inside we are falling apart - eventually, over time, 
we lose our capacity to be strong for anyone."
-Elizabeth Irvine from A Moment's Peace: A mom's guide to creating calm amidst chaos

It's true. I have not been doing a good job listening to my body. When I begin to feel overwhelmed, I need to stop. I need to make it a priority to take a time out. Obviously there are times when I can't just stop what I'm doing (I am a mom after all), but I'm driving myself into the ground each day and that needs to stop. I'm not doing anyone in this family any favors if doing one more load of laundry is going to push me over the edge and turn me into a crabby mess. All moms are guilty of this at one time or another, so I know I'm not alone. Maybe we'd all do ourselves a favor if we forgot about being Supermom every once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment