When I wrote my last post, I had just discovered the becoming minimalist website after a friend happened to post something from the facebook page. Over the past two weeks or so, I've been eating up anything posted from becoming minimalist and I discovered that my desire for a simpler life aligns perfectly with minimalism. I didn't know it. I had always had it in my head that to be minimalist meant to be on the extreme side of simplicity, but now I know that it's not true. There are people who go the extreme route, but the general basis of a minimalist lifestyle is to have what you need, to not spend money on unnecessary items (putting yourself in a better place financially), and to limit the amount of clutter in your life. That is what I want and what I have been striving for.
Yes, it flies in the face of our society "norms" and I think I've already weird-ed out a couple of people by proclaiming my new found interest in minimalism. In fact, one person I know has barely spoken to me since I began my simplicity journey. As soon as I made the decision to not take part in the over-scheduled "mommy wars", I was shut out. And that's unfortunate. I'm not doing this to make myself feel like I'm better than anyone else or that I take care of my family better than other moms. It was a personal decision based upon the realization that my family suffers when I am overwhelmed and stressed out, and I didn't want to live like that anymore. Not everyone functions the same way I do and I can absolutely respect that, but I also know that my decision might make some people uncomfortable. I may lose more friends on this journey and I may gain some - who knows?
I don't see myself becoming an extreme minimalist. I have kids and they have toys, I like to own lots of books for mental stimulation, and I own more than two pairs of shoes. But I find joy in reducing our belongings and getting rid of the things we don't need - the things that clutter our lives and take up space. If it doesn't bring me joy, it doesn't need to be in my home. I enjoy seeing our bank account become stronger because I've cut down on our purchases. I want to travel with our kids and I know that the less I buy, the closer we get being able to afford those travels (without debt) and the memories that will come with them.
That's why I'm on this journey.
No comments:
Post a Comment