Friday, February 1, 2013

Unclutter

I want to share this post from Becoming Minimalist. It is simple, true, and focused.

I had a large pile of things to get rid of just sitting in the corner of our bedroom. Sure, I felt somewhat accomplished because I had sorted it out to be things that we no longer needed, but there it sat and I did nothing with it. Was I going to sell it or give it away? I hadn't thought that far ahead. I kind of wanted to sell it - I mean, it was in fine condition - but that was going to take some work and I just couldn't find the time to sit down and take care of two boxes and one garbage bag full of things. It was on my mind every time I entered our bedroom and I didn't like that. Your bedroom is supposed to be a place to relax and forget about everything else that needs to be done. The pile was not helping.

Then last week, I found a flyer on the front door from an organization who was going to be coming through the neighborhood in a few days and they wanted donations of clothes, household items, toys, anything. And all I had to do was set them on the front porch to be picked up. So I did. I kept a few items that I wasn't totally sure that I wanted to just give away, but most of it went out on the porch on Tuesday. By the evening, it was all gone. Gone from my life and gone from cluttering up my bedroom. By next Tuesday, I'm going to revisit the five or so items I kept out and decide if they are really worth attempting to sell, or if I would prefer to just get them out of my house. And it feels great. My bedroom no longer stresses me out and I really do feel free.

No comments:

Post a Comment