A challenge like this is difficult. It makes a lot of people want to stop before they even get started....mainly because they just don't know where to start. I had to fight the feelings of being overwhelmed with how to begin, and I still have to fight them every few days. Feeling like I'm not progressing or that maybe it all really is just too hard. I knew I'd need direction, so I picked up some reading materials to help me through.
Book 1: Frugal Living for Dummies: Practical ideas to help you spend less, save more, and live well. By Deborah Taylor-Hough
I love the Dummies books. They break everything down in an extremely helpful way, so when you're trying out a challenge like this, you can really focus on exactly what you're wanting to do without having to shift through what you don't want.
Book 2: Organizing Magic: 40 days to a well-ordered home and life. By Sandra Felton
I've just flipped through this one so far, but it really is written out by day and what the organizational goal is for that day. It's not overwhelming, it's super simple, and so incredibly easy that no one should have any excuse as to why they shouldn't be following along with this book (unless your house is already perfectly organized).
Book 3: Simplify Your Life with Kids: 100 Ways to Make Family Life Easier and More Fun. By Elaine St. James
I've already recommended this book to a few people because it really is amazing. The 100 ways are broken down into organized quick tips for common family problem areas. It's quick to flip through and I've already implemented a few suggestions from the book. Just a couple minor changes and I already feel more put together during the day. I never expected such small changes to make a difference.
You'll note that in a money-saving fashion, I borrowed all of these from the library instead of running out and buying them. I see no point in plunking down money for a book if I'm not even sure it's going to work for us. Once I read these fully and try the suggestions out, I'll know if it's something I want to keep on hand in case we get derailed somehow in our quest for simplicity. Although I can already tell you that I plan to buy the Dummies book. With the absolute wealth of information in there, it's a perfect reference to have on hand at all times.
These books are just my starter books. I'm sure I'll have many more to share with you as we get further along. But until then, I fully recommend heading to the library and checking these books out. You never know where the suggestions might take you!
No comments:
Post a Comment